Extra Help Moving - Movers License Checker

Home PageHire Moving HelpersFull Service Moving QuotesAbout Us | Movers Login | Movers Sign-Up | Page Links | Sitemap

Local Movers License Status

The information is arranged alphabetically. Find the state you are moving in/from and check on moving company license!

Alabama moving companies are required to have an APSC registration number to operate legitimately.
Agency: Public Service Commission, Transportation Division
Address: 100 N Union St, RSA Union, Montgomery, AL 36104
Phone: (334) 242-5980
Website: http://www.psc.alabama.gov/
The Alabama Public Service Commission ensures a regulatory balance between companies and consumers in order to sustain consumers with safe and reliable services.

The Arizona Department of Weights and Measures monitors movers when it comes to local, within-the-state moves. In case of a dispute, you should contact them immediately. You can file your complaint either through their online form, or you can reach them by phone as well.
Agency: Arizona Department of Weights and Measures
Address: 4425 W Olive Ave, Glendale, AZ 85302
Phone: (800) 277-6675
Website: http://www.azdwm.gov/
The Department recommends to check with the Arizona Corporation Commission to confirm that the moving company is registered to conduct business in Arizona.

To transport household goods within the state of Arkansas, movers must have a valid permit. Before being able to legitimately move household goods, moving companies must apply for Arkansas Intrastate Authority.
Agency: Arkansas State Highway & Transportation Department
Address: 10324 Interstate 30, Little Rock, Arkansas 72209
Phone: (501) 569-2000
Website: https://www.arkansashighways.com

When contacting local California moving companies, make sure to check their Cal-T number issued by the California Public Utilities Commission. Household goods moving companies must obtain permits from the PUC after proving financial and safety fitness. They must also prove that they have adequate insurance and they are subject to criminal background clearance by the California Department of Justice and Federal Bureau of Investigation.
Agency: California Public Utilities Commission
Address: SSRS Unit 505, Van Ness Avenue, San Francisco, CA 94102-3298
Phone: (800) 848-5580
Website: http://www.cpuc.ca.gov/puc/
The CPUC controls privately owned electric, natural gas, telecommunications, water, railroad, rail transit, along with passenger transportation companies.

Intrastate movers in Colorado are regulated by the Colorado Public Utilities Commission (PUC). Each mover should have a PUC permit number to be allowed to move household goods. The PUC encourages people who are about to relocate to confirm that the moving company they are hiring is permitted in Colorado. You can check whether the moving company is licensed at the PUC site here.
Agency: Public Utilities Commission
Address: 1560 Broadway, Suite 250, Denver, CO 80202
Phone: (303) 894-2000
Website: colorado.gov
And, you can find more information regarding how to file a complaint against a mover here.

The Bureau of Public Transportation oversees the regulation of moving companies, taxis, livery operators and bus companies.
Agency: Department of Transportation,  Bureau of Public Transportation
Address: 2800 Berlin Turnpike, Newington, CT 06111
Phone: (860)-594-2000
Website: ct.gov/dot
If you are experiencing issues and cannot resolve your dispute, you can submit a complaint using the Taxi, Livery or Household Goods Complaint Form.

Any person who is involved in intrastate/local moving has to register annually with the Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services, Division of Consumer Services. This includes any person/company that transports household goods for profit within Florida. The Bureau of Compliance is the responsible regulatory authority that manages Intrastate Movers.
Agency: The Division of Consumer Services, Bureau of Compliance
Address: Terry Rhodes Building, 2005 Apalachee Parkway, Tallahassee, FL 32399-6500
Phone: (800) 435-7352
Website: http://www.800helpfla.com

The Georgia Department of Public Safety is the lead agency which conducts safety inspections of commercial motor vehicles and highway shipments of hazardous materials, and executes safety audit on motor carriers. The Department adopts and enforces different regulations to provide a safe environment for all parties. You can find out a list with licensed GA movers on their web here.
Agency: Department of Public Safety
Address: 959 East Confederate Avenue, Atlanta, GA 30316                  
Phone: (404) 624-7243
Website: www.dps.georgia.gov
Guidance for Hiring a Moving Company
File a Complaint

The Public Utilities Commission is responsible for overseeing household movers in Hawaii. The Commission performs the following actions in the regulation of household carriers – certification and licensing, rate-making and business regulation.
Agency: Public Utilities Commission
Address: 465 South King Street, #103, Honolulu, Hawaii 96813
Phone: (808) 586-2020
Website: www.puc.hawaii.gov
If you want to file a complaint against your carrier, you can as well submit your statement of disagreement online from the Commission’s web here.

Intrastate movers in Idaho are regulated by the Idaho Transportation Department and are required to be registered with the DOT in order to operate legally within the Gem State. If you’re unable to resolve a dispute with a local Idaho moving company, contact the Department for assistance on how to resolve the issue.
Agency: Idaho Transportation Department
Address: 3311 W. State Street P.O. Box 7129, Boise, Idaho 83707-1129
Phone: (208) 334-8000
Website: www.itd.idaho.gov

Moving company regulations in Illinois are set by the Commerce Commission. Moving Companies engaged in the transportation of household goods must obtain a Certificate of Public Convenience and Necessity from the Illinois Commerce Commission. If you are looking for a local mover to move you within the state, book registered IL movers. Read our interview with the Illinois Commerce Commission Industry Analyst Tina Burgess.
Agency: Illinois Commerce Commission
Address: 527 East Capitol Avenue, Springfield, IL 62701
Phone: (800)524-0795
Website: http://www.icc.illinois.gov/

Local movers who operate within the state of Indiana are supervised by the Indiana Department of Transportation (INDOT) and must have valid state-issued IHGC numbers as proof of their legality. Should you happen to be having troubles with an intrastate moving company in the Hoosier State, turn to the INDOT for help on what legal actions to take against the local mover in question.
Agency: Indiana Department of Transportation
Address: 5252 Decatur Blvd, Indianapolis, IN 46241
Phone: (317) 615-7350
Website: www.in.gov/indot/index.htm

If you’re about to move from one home to another within the state lines of Iowa, make sure you hire a local moving company that has been properly licensed by the Iowa Department of Transportation. The IOWA DOT regulates intrastate movers and issues special IOWAMC numbers to the companies that meet their safety and insurance requirements.
Agency: Iowa Department of Transportation
Address: PO Box 10382, Des Moines, IA 50306-0382
Phone: (515) 237-3264
Website: www.iowa.gov

The Transportation Division monitors motor carriers to provide protection of the public interest and to promote safety through planning, licensing, education, and inspection. If you are about to perform a local move in Kansas, within the borders of the state, make sure your moving company has a permit from the Kansas Corporation Commission (KCC Operating Authority). You can check whether your potential movers are licensed at the Commission’s web here.
Agency: Kansas Corporation Commission, Transportation Division
Address: 1500 SW Arrowhead Road, Topeka, KS 66604-4027
Phone: (785) 271-3145
Website: www.kcc.state.ks.us
To file a complaint against a motor carrier, follow up the Transportation Division instructions at their complaint page.

If you are moving your household goods from your home to a new location within the state of Kentucky, your mover must be licensed by the Kentucky Transportation Cabinet, Division of Motor Carriers (KYTC). Licensed movers are subject to state laws and the Cabinet’s rules and regulations, which protect the consumer. Movers licensed by the KYTC must carry a minimum amount of cargo insurance and file a tariff which contains the rates charged for various moving services and  is available to the public.
Agency: Kentucky Transportation Cabinet, Division of Motor Carriers
Address: 200 Mero Street, Frankfort, KY 40622
Phone: (502) 564-1257 
Website: www.transportation.ky.gov
If you cannot resolve your dispute with the mover, you should contact the KYTC. The Cabinet’s Division of Motor Carriers is engaged to investigate written complaints against motor carriers.

Intrastate moving companies in the Bayou State are effectively supervised by the Louisiana Department of Transportation and Development (LaDOTD). All Local movers in Louisiana must comply with the LaDOTD’s requirements and standards in order to be authorized to operate legally on the territory of the state. If you have a dispute with an intrastate mover that you can’t resolve, contact the Department for assistance and advice.
Agency: Louisiana Department of Transportation and Development
Address: 1201 Capitol Access Road, Baton Rouge, LA, 70802
Phone:  (225) 379-1232
Website: wwwsp.dotd.la.gov/Pages/default.aspx

In order to legitimately operate in Massachusetts, moving companies must be licensed by the Massachusetts Department of Public Utilities (read our interview with Ms Elizabeth Leaman, Assistant Director at the Department of Public Utilities). Movers licensed by the MDPU are obliged to carry a minimum amount of cargo insurance. Plus, movers are also required to file a Tariff pointing the rates charged for the moving services the company provides.
Agency: Massachusetts Department Of Public Utilities, Transportation Oversight Division
Address: 1 South Station, Boston, MA 02110
Phone: (617) 305-3559
Website: http://www.mass.gov/dpu/transportation

The Michigan Public Service Commission (MPSC) is the agency which regulates household goods carriers. The regulation of intrastate movers includes authorization to conduct services, registration of motor vehicles, approval of moving rates, oversight of safety, and consumer protection. You can find a list with licensed movers that have an active intrastate household goods authority on the Commission’s web.
Agency: Michigan Public Service Commission, Motor Carrier Division
Address: 6545 Mercantile Way, Suite 1, Lansing, MI 48911
Phone: (517) 241-9770
Website: www.michigan.gov/mpsc
To file a complaint against your carrier, you need to file the Division’s complaint form.

All moving companies in Minnesota must have a permit from the Minnesota Department of Transportation (MnDOT) in order to operate within the state. To be granted the authority, movers must show proof of registration with the Secretary of State, file their tariff and Certificate of Compliance with the department, and maintain proper levels of insurance.  To check if your mover is insured and has a valid permit, contact MnDOT’s Office of Freight and Commercial Vehicle Operations at (651) 215-6330.
Agency: Minnesota Department of Transportation, Office of Freight and Commercial Vehicle Operations
Address: 395 John Ireland Blvd, St. Paul, MN 55155-1899
Phone: (800) 657-3774
Website: www.dot.state.mn.us
Office of Freight and Commercial Vehicle Operations Complaint Form (report damage)
Office of Freight and Commercial Vehicle Operations Booklet (practical guide to moving)

If you’re about to move house to another town or city in the state of Mississippi, it might come in handy to know that intrastate movers are regulated by the Mississippi Department of Transportation (MDOT). Hire a moving company that has a valid MSPC number – a proof that it has been licensed by the MDOT to transport household goods within the state. Contact the department if you’re having any issues with the selected professional mover.
Agency: Mississippi Department of Transportation
Address: 401 North West Street, Jackson, Mississippi 39201
Phone:  (601) 359-7001
Website: http://mdot.ms.gov/portal/home.aspx

The Missouri Department of Transportation (MoDOT) is the regulatory authority that supervises all professional intrastate movers in Missouri. Each local household goods carrier must have a valid MODOT number as a proof of their legitimacy. In case you have any issues with your selected intrastate moving company, don’t hesitate to contact the MoDOT for timely assistance.
Agency: Missouri Department of Transportation (MoDOT)
Address: 105 W. Capitol Avenue, Jefferson City, MO 65102
Phone:  (866) 275-6636
Website: www.modot.org

Local movers in Montana are required by law to have valid PSC numbers issued by their regulatory body: the Montana Department of Transportation (MDT). Make sure you hire the professional services of a moving company that is properly licensed to operate in order to prevent the misfortune of having to file a dispute against your future relocation partner.
Agency: Montana Department of Transportation (MDT)
Address: PO Box 201001, Helena, MT 59620-1001
Phone:  (406) 444-6200
Website: www.mdt.mt.gov

Any household goods mover within the State of Nebraska is required to have a Certificate of Authority from the Nebraska Public Service Commission, and is subject to regulation by the Commission’s Motor Carrier Department. The Commission maintains a list of moving companies who have a valid permit here.
Agency: Nebraska Public Service Commission
Address: 1200 N Street, Suite 300, Lincoln, NE 68508
Phone: (800) 526-0017
Website: www.psc.nebraska.gov
Nebraska Public Service Commission Informal Complaint

The Nevada Transportation Authority (NTA) administers and enforces state laws relating to household goods movers. The NTA promotes safe and efficient service, fosters economic conditions in transportation and encourages the maintenance of reasonable charges for intrastate transportation by registered carriers.
Agency: Nevada Transportation Authority
Address: 2290 South Jones Blvd, Suite 110, Las Vegas, NV 89146
Phone: (702) 486-3303
Website: www.nta.nv.gov
NTA’s Complaint Form (see section 3)

New Hampshire
Should you happen to have a dispute with a local mover in New Hampshire, the New Hampshire Department of Transportation (NHDOT) is the regulatory body to turn to for assistance on how to file a complaint against your professional partner. The NHDOT oversees intrastate movers and makes sure each company that has a special NHPC number meets the minimum safety and insurance requirements to operate legally within the state.
Agency: New Hampshire Department of Transportation (NHDOT)
Address: 7 Hazen Drive, Concord, NH
Phone:  (603) 271-3734
Website: www.nh.gov/dot/

New Jersey
The regulation of New Jersey movers is part of the of the New Jersey Division of Consumer Affairs daily work. The New Jersey Division of Consumer Affairs provides safe, and adequate services, while observing the rules and regulations concerning the transportation of your household goods. Before choosing your mover, find out if the mover you have selected is licensed and if they have had complaints lodged against them here.
Agency: Department of Law and Public Safety, New Jersey Division of Consumer Affairs
Address: 124 Halsey Street, Newark, New Jersey 07101
Phone: (973) 504-6512
Website: http://www.njconsumeraffairs.gov

New Mexico
Intrastate movers in New Mexico must obtain a certificate to be able to provide a household moving service. The New Mexico Public Regulation Commission is responsible for licensing and overseeing movers in the state. Moreover, the Commission maintains a directory of registered household goods movers in New Mexico that is open to the public.
Agency: Public Regulation Commission
Address: 1120 Paseo De Peralta, PERA Building, P.O. Box 1269, Santa Fe, NM 87504
Phone: (888) 427-5772
Website: www.nmprc.state.nm.us
The Commission can also help you resolve a problem with your mover. To find out more on the topic, visit the File a Complaint page.

New York
Moving companies in New York are regulated by the New York State Department of Transportation. To verify whether movers are licensed and insured, call (800) 786-5368, or e-mail at nymoving@dot.state.ny.us. Here is our exclusive interview with Jennifer K. Post from the NYS DOT.
Agency: New York State Department of Transportation
Address: 50 Wolf Road, Albany, NY 12232
Phone: (518) 457-6195
Website: https://www.dot.ny.gov

North Carolina
Carriers transporting household goods intrastate for compensation are under the North Carolina Utilities Commission’s jurisdiction. If you hire intrastate household goods movers in North Carolina, they must have a certificate (“C” number) issued by the Commission. Certificated movers are required to have insurance, to observe some consumer protection laws, and to comply with the provisions of the Maximum Rate Tariff (MRT).
Agency: North Carolina Utilities Commission, Transportation Division
Address: 430 N. Salisbury Street, Room 1130, Raleigh, NC 27603-5919
Phone: (919) 733-7766
Website: www.ncuc.commerce.state.nc.us
MOVING 101 – A North Carolina Consumer’s Guide
Household Goods (HHG) Complaint Form

North Dakota
All intrastate movers in North Dakota are regulated by the North Dakota Department of Transportation (NDDOT). If you’re planning to move to another home within the limits of the Peace Garden State, then use the quality services of a moving company that has a valid NDDOT number. Contact the Department of Transportation if you happen to have an issue with a mover which you can’t seem to resolve in a peaceful manner.
Agency: North Dakota Department of Transportation (NDDOT)
Address: 608 East Boulevard Avenue, Bismarck, ND 58505-0700
Phone: (701) 328-2500
Website: www.dot.nd.gov

All companies that move household goods from one location in Oklahoma to another location in the state are required to hold active certificates from the Oklahoma Corporation Commission (OCC). You may contact the OCC for a list of licensed household goods carriers, for a copy of the rules regulating intrastate movers, and for information and help regarding disputes with your carrier.
Agency: Oklahoma Corporation Commission
Address: 2101 North Lincoln Blvd., Oklahoma City, OK 73105
Phone: (405) 521-2211
Website: www.occeweb.com

Moving companies in Oregon are required to have a valid USDOT license and an Oregon state license to operate legally within Oregon and across state lines.
Agency: Oregon Department of Transportation, Motor Carrier Transportation Division
Address: 3930 Fairview Industrial Dr SE, Salem, OR 97302
Phone: (503) 378-5985
Website: http://www.oregon.gov/ODOT/MCT/Pages/index.aspx

The Public Utility Commission is the authority that regulates the moving companies in Pennsylvania. According to PA Public Utility Commission, household carriers have to comply with certain safety and insurance rules in order to acquire the proper license. Here is a list of Pennsylvania registered companies. Here is some more information when hiring a Pennsylvanian household goods mover.
Agency: Public Utility Commission
Address: 400 North Street, Harrisburg, PA 17120-0211
Phone: (800) 692-7380
Website: http://www.puc.state.pa.us

Rhode Island
Public Utilities Commission is the agency to contact in case you are performing a local move in Rhode Island. The Division of Public Utilities and Carriers maintains a list with registered moving companies which is accessible to the public on their web here. The list is said to be updated regularly, but the Division advises to call (401) 780-2158 in case you have some questions.
Agency: Public Utilities Commission
Address: 89 Jefferson Boulevard, Warwick, RI 02888
Phone: (401) 780-2158
Website: www.ripuc.org
You can reach the Consumer Section of the Division of Public Utilities and Carriers at (401) 780-9700.

South Carolina
The South Carolina Office of Regulatory Staff (ORS) is responsible for the inspection, auditing, and examination of public utilities. The Office represents the public interest by balancing the concerns of the consumers, the financial stability of public utilities, and the economic development of South Carolina. The Office of Regulatory Staff has created a page with regulated moving companies in South Carolina for the convenience of the public.
Agency: The South Carolina Office of Regulatory Staff
Address: 1401 Main Street, Suite 900, Columbia, S.C. 29201
Phone: (803) 737-0800
Website: www.regulatorystaff.sc.gov
Contact the ORS Consumer Services to resolve disputes and get educated at (800) 922-1531.
Transportation FAQs
Consumer Complaint/Inquiry Form

By law, Texas moving companies must be licensed with the Texas Department of Motor Vehicles and must have acquire TxDMV Number (10 digits) to operate as a legitimate mover within the state. If you are looking for local Texas movers, check the Texas moving company regulations and make sure you work with registered ones. Read our interview with Adam Shaivitz, Public Information Officer at Texas Department of Motor Vehicles.
Agency: Texas Department of Motor Vehicles
Address: 4000 Jackson Ave., Austin, TX 78731
Phone: (888) 368-4689
Website: http://www.txdmv.gov

All intrastate movers in Virginia must hold a certificate issued by the Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles. Household goods carriers must comply with the DMV insurance and bond requirements. Upon applying, movers are obliged to file their tariff and bill of lading. If you are moving in Virginia locally, then search the Department of Motor Vehicles database for registered moving companies here.
Agency: Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles
Address: 2300 West Broad Street, Richmond, VA 23269
Phone: (804) 497-7100
Website: http://www.dmv.virginia.gov

The Utilities and Transportation Commission regulates residential moving companies that conduct moves within the state of Washington. If you are looking to hire a mover, make sure they are on the list of licensed moving companies – here is a list of authorized household goods carriers.
Agency: Utilities and Transportation Commission
Address: 1300 S. Evergreen Park Dr. SW, Olympia, WA 98504
Phone: (360) 664-1160
Website: http://www.utc.wa.gov

West Virginia
The Public Service Commission is the agency that regulates and oversees household goods carriers in the state. Pursuing excellence through quality, the Commission promotes and supports safe environment for transportation and strives to balance the public’s and the utilities’ interests. You can confirm that your movers are authorized to provide a moving service in WV on the Commission’s web here.
Agency: Public Service Commission
Address: 201 Brooks Street, Charleston, WV 25301
Phone: (800) 642-8544
Website: www.psc.state.wv.us
Consumer complaint procedures

All intrastate movers in Wisconsin must be registered with the Wisconsin Department of Transportation (WisDOT) in order to be able to transport household goods legally within the state. If you have any suspicions of wrongdoing by the professional moving company you have hired or are about to hire, contact the WisDOT to voice your concerns and take the required steps to amend the situation in your favor.
Agency: Wisconsin Department of Transportation (WisDOT)
Address: 4802 Sheboygan Avenue, Madison, WI 53705
Phone: (608) 250-4606
Website: http://wisconsindot.gov/Pages/home.aspx

The Wyoming Department of Transportation (WYDT) is the regulatory authority that oversees local movers in Wyoming. Each intrastate mover must be licensed by the WYDOT and issued a DOC number in order to do business on the territory of the state. In case of an issue with an intrastate moving company, contact the Department for help and advice.
Agency: Wyoming Department of Transportation (WYDT)
Address: 5300 Bishop Blvd., Cheyenne, WY 82009
Phone: (307) 777-4375
Website: www.dot.state.wy.us/cms/sites/wydot/home.html

For Interstate Moves
Moving companies are required to be registered with the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) if they perform interstate moves. You can look for a mover here. Also check out our exclusive interview with FMCSA’s Anne S. Ferro about the Moving Industry.
Agency: United States Department of Transportation
Address: 1200 New Jersey Ave, SE, Washington DC 20590
Phone: (855) 368-4200
Website: http://fmcsa.dot.gov